Friday 1 July 2011

How to take a whipper!

Got a call early this morning by Harry, who was keen to go climb some trad - we decided to go to Haytor, seeing as Harry wanted to climb Aviation (E1 5b***) and I had a couple of projects which I had wanted to get. We turned up fairly late, having left shortly after 11.30, and headed immediately for Lowman. Harry managed to climb the first pitch fairly well, although he did seem a bit scared at times and only placed three pieces of gear, none on the final traverse. I slowly seconded him, but had a bit of a nightmare, having to rest on the rope at the bottom before I managed to work out the sequence to commit to the flake. After that I was OK until I got to the traverse. I shook out a bit first before removing the last piece of gear between Harry and myself, and then slowly moved across, grabbing the jug-like holds. Sadly, however, my nifty footwork did me little good on the incredibly polished granite, and the pump in my arms proved to be just too much, causing me to take quite a nasty fall for about 4 metres, swinging beneath Harry and then back round, finally ending up directly beneath him. After shaking out a bit and finding that I was more or less intact save for a few cuts and scratches on my arms and legs, I climbed the delicate moves up the slabs and onto the large hollow flake where Harry had set up the belay. Once we'd switched over the belay, Harry once again started to lead, but unfortuantely couldn't figure out the first move, and eventually, after a few minutes, just lunged for the large jug above him and caught it. Once up at the top, he belayed me up, as I managed to climb the second pitch clean although still slightly nervy from my fall. I decided to forgo leading any VS or HVS climbs and only led Step Across (D*) in order to feel slightly better about myself and make myself lead a climb after a fall. After this we decided that it was about time to head back home as Aviation had been the only climb there which Harry had fancied doing and I wasn't feeling particularly psyched after the whipper!

No comments:

Post a Comment